Tuesday 23 August 2016

Author Interview: Lisa Glass

Today I am proud to introduce a new feature that I’m adding to my blog which is Author Interview.

I'm delighted to welcome my first interviewee Lisa Glass to the blog for a chat. Her latest book Ride was published in June. It is the third and final book in her Blue Trilogy.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing journey?
I’ve lived in Newquay since 2002 and the Blue trilogy was inspired by Newquay’s surf scene. I started writing at Swansea university, where I was studying for an English degree. I went on to take an MA in Creative Writing and shortly after finishing the course I was signed by a literary agent.

Ride is the last book in the Blue trilogy. What are you going to miss the most about writing Iris and Zeke’s story?
I already miss writing the banter between Iris and her best friend Kelly. I am also going to really miss the research interviews I conducted with pro-surfers and their families. They were lots of fun!

If you had to describe Ride in one sentence, what would it be?
For me Blue is the fairy tale, Air is where reality starts to kick in, and Ride is the coming-of-age story.

What did you enjoy most about writing this book?
I enjoyed Iris discovering more about the person she has become and the life she wants to lead. I also enjoyed writing about Kelly’s relationships with Beth and Garrett.

Were any characters inspired by anyone in real life?
Yes, but I probably shouldn’t name names…Actually, one I can mention is a tiny cameo I gave my friend Karl. He is mentioned in Blue as a lad training to be an airline pilot. Karl was one of a group of surfers I hung around with during the summer that I learnt to surf. I’m still friends with Karl now and he’s currently a pilot for EasyJet.

What is a typical writing day like?
I write in the evenings. I usually start around 10pm and write until 2am.

What essentials do you need to have close to hand when you are in writing mode? 
A laptop, a decent Spotify playlist and a cup of strong tea.

What authors have influenced you as a writer?
The novelist Stevie Davies and the poet Nigel Jenkins taught my MA course and probably influenced me most as a writer. I also love the books of Margaret Atwood, Keren David and Luisa Plaja.

When planning a new novel which comes first, the plot or the characters?
The setting first, and then the characters and plot develop together.

If you get a plot block during the initial writing phase, how do you work your way through it? 
I have set hours in which to write, so I force myself to keep going until I break through the block.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
Part-time. I have young children and I look after them during the day.

What are your current projects?
I’ve just finished a middle-grade novel and I’ve started a Kelly spin-off book, plus another YA and a secret project.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
There is a movie version of Blue in the works (Bluer Than The Sky), which is currently in pre-production. Also, thanks so much for taking the time to ask me these questions and for reading the books!

How can readers discover more about you and your work?
Instagram: @lisaglassauthor 
Facebook: @lisaglassauthor 
Twitter: @TheSeaSection 

Many thanks to Lisa for taking the time to do the interview!

1 comment: